Every business has their own unique DNA and culture. We believe your communication systems need to be as unique as your business.
DNA Communications has an immediate opening for a Field Technician in the DeKalb/Sycamore Illinois area. This position’s pay is $38,000-$45,000 and includes benefits, paid vacation/holidays, Simple IRA with company match, and more. This is a full-time (40 hours per week) position. The Field Service Technician assists with on-site installations, troubleshooting, repairs, and maintenance of telecommunications products and equipment that DNA Communications sells and leases. This position has direct, face-to-face contact with our customers. This position requires coordination with the sales team, both pre-sales and during installation. Services include, but are not limited to, Telephony, Video/CATV/DBS, Internet, and/or high-speed networks as well as Local Service, Central Office Services, Structured Cabling, MAC (Moves, Adds, and Changes), Voice Mail, Audio and/or Video Conferencing, and Non-regulated CPE.
Skills and Responsibilities:
- Assists with and performs on-site installing, troubleshooting, testing, splicing, repairing, and maintaining telephone equipment and general network equipment, customer premise equipment, Video/CATV/DBS, fiber optic/copper facilities and/or other DNA Communications products & services for new and existing customers.
- Identifies the location of defective cable using various test equipment and repairs buried, aerial, underground and/or customer cable.
- Locates cable and fiber in response to customer requests and/or construction needs.
- Pole climbing and operating construction equipment is not required but may be beneficial.
- Locates, identifies, and marks company underground and buried facilities to prevent facilities from being damaged.
- Keeps an orderly log of all locate requests in our service area.
- Performs cable fault acceptance tests on newly constructed facilities.
- Assists with and provides troubleshooting support techniques and corrections.
- Responds to “trouble” dispatches.
- Assists with and provides support for enhancing and maintaining record systems (cross-connects, line groups, network elements, etc.).
- Provides excellent customer service.
- Gain working knowledge of RUS Standards and Grounding practices associated with splicing and maintaining outside plant facilities and equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, stand, write, and operate a computer keyboard, standard office equipment, and telephone. The employee regularly communicates with customers. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must also be able to climb poles and ladders. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions and may have to work in attics and crawl spaces or high-risk areas such as high voltage electrical, trenches, and manholes. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and heavy equipment; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, extreme cold, and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is, at times, loud.
- 3+ Years of experience
- Thorough working knowledge of widely used construction practices of fiber cable.
- Technical Certification (or higher) –OR- 6+ months experience working with Low Voltage, Electrical, or Utility Construction -OR- current or prior military service with an honorable discharge.
- Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license. A Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) may be required.
- Requires on-call/standby responsibilities. On-call requires carrying a pager and/or cell phone, being available to report to work (24 hours a day) and remain in a limited geographic area.
- Requires an understanding of telecommunication products and services: Inside Wiring/Cable, Internet/Intranet, Bonding & Grounding, Data & Computers/Transmission Concepts, Fiber Optic Transmission, Static Sensitive Equipment, Color Codes, Structured Wiring, Video/CATV/DBS Installation, Inventory Systems, Cable Locating, Battery Maintenance, Key Systems/PBX, Centrex, Switch Maintenance, Voicemail, Special Circuits, Fiber Terminals, Subscriber CXR Terminals, T-1s, ISPs, DSL, ISDN Voice & Data, Testing & Certifying Loops To Support Data, Voice, and/or Video.
- Practical knowledge/experience with computer applications including (but not limited to): Databases, Trouble/Repair/Dispatch Systems, Plant Record Systems, MS Outlook, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Explorer, and Google Chrome.
- Ability to work and make decisions independently with little or no supervision.
- Demonstrated customer service and sales skills, as well as effective communications skills (verbal and written) for interaction with internal and external customers.
- Proven organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Physical requirements may vary based on company needs: Operation of heavy construction machinery, such as bucket truck, drop plow, and backhoe. Ability to dig, lift, and climb.
- Requires being available for on-call/standby responsibilities and may require occasional travel
- Must be willing to work overtime as needed. May be required to work various/swing shifts as business needs dictate.
- Must be able to operate vehicles with manual transmissions.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements, or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job requirements, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned. Please read the following background check items which may or may not be required for the position prior to considering employment at DNA Communications.
• I-9 Employment Verification
• Drug Test
• Motor Vehicle Driving Records
• Criminal History
• Sex Offender Register
• Terrorist Watch List
• Credit History
• Employment History
• Background Check
• Education Verification
• International Background Check (If required)